Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I'll always miss you.

I've been online for an ungodly amount of time. I don't think I actually started meeting other players online until I was about six or seven. I remember playing this old-school game called "MillsBerry." God, I miss that game. I remember playing with a few of my other elementary school friends. Each day we would goof around and try to make enough money to buy a floating car. The thing about the game though, is that there is no in game chat system. You can't send messages to another player, either. You could only chose to send one of a few dozen pre-written post cards. They just said "Happy birthday" or "Get better!" or other pre-determined western phrases. Me and my friends never exchanged emails or anything, because hey, we'll just talk at school tomorrow. At this time I was still living with my father, whom was a raging alcoholic. He was a very evil person. I would be welcomed home from school with a beer bottle thrown at my head. My mother was so psychologically damaged that she didn't understand that she was being abused. One day she mustered up the strength to run away from him. She packed a bunch of our clothes, and abruptly picked us up from school. She instructed us to pack whatever we wanted to keep, and we left. I never got to say good bye to my school friends.

We still had one line of communication, though. Millsberry. Once we found a new place to live on the other side of the country, and regained a internet connection, I went ahead and logged into my account. I saw probably a hundred messages from my old friends. They had to chose which of a few dozen messages to send to me. Most of them just said "get well soon." I tried to reply with whatever I could to communicate. We had no way to talk. We could only say "hello" "you're cool" and other simple messages. I was never able to say my email or anything of value. We would continue to exchange these message for several years. About two years ago I came home and became filled with melancholy. The game had shut down. The servers were pulled down, and I had no way to talk to my old friends. I cried.

3 comments:

  1. I know that feel bro, I get so nostalgic thinking about my old online friends and where they are now. I knew some for over 5 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man.. I remember the game too (and miss it a lot as well!). I used to harbor the site's currency (dont remember what was it - MillsBucks or something) to just get enough to make my home a large and spacious one.

    And the fishing pond, I remember that one can get fishes like Trouts or other junk like a Rotten Old Teddy Bear or even a Trashed Car! There also used to be some sort of spaceship that landed in Millsberry (and a quest along with it).

    Oh, how I missed it

    {Someone from HF}

    ReplyDelete