Monday, September 22, 2014

The inevitable, stereotypical post about depression.

There's probably a million blog posts on thousands of blogs talking about depression. They start out slow, maybe give a sad story and talk about how at the end it was all turned into sunshine. Seriously, fuck that shit. Depression doesn't just 'get better' after a week of hanging out with friends. Snorting a line of coke won't magically cure you, it will just make your brain bleed enough to trick you into feeling a certain way for a little bit. There is no 'cure' for depression.

Earlier this week one of my close friends took his own life. He walked to the store, bought some rope and a ladder. No one questioned his purchase. He went home, and promptly ended his own life. He didn't write a suicide note. He didn't give closure to anyone. He had been struggling with depression for longer then I have. After a certain point you don't turn to consoling for help, you turn to a gun or a rope.

Consoling sucks. Seriously, whoever elects these people into power are batshit crazy. I'll give a little break down of what my "Therapist" did during the meeting:

50%: "Let me go run into the other room and talk to another patient."
20%: "Let me check my iphone, gotta text someone real quick"
20%: "How are you paying for this? Let me make sure you have the right amount of money."
10%: "Why don't you take more Vitamin D?"

Honestly I'm starting to think that the whole thing is a scam. No one takes depression seriously, even though it's a leading cause of death among Americans. I'm disgusted by how the system works.

3 comments:

  1. There seems to be a serious lack of therapists who've actually gone through what some of their clients have gone through. It makes therapists nothing more than someone to talk to. If you have a gf/bf, family member, or friend that you can talk to about personal things like depression then they can be your "therapist". Seriously. I tend to bottle up my thoughts and emotions and it always results in some sort of breakdown or short term depression. When I was depressed once I talked to a couple close people about what was going on (not directly just saying im depressed and expecting them to fix it for me) and was amazed at how therapeutic it felt. I was relieved even though the core issue I had wasn't addressed.

    Oh and uhhh I would definitely tell people to pass on coke until they're feeling better. As great as coke is it'll just make the depression even worse after the high... that goes for every drug, even weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard to discuss it with people. No one cares and I mean, why should they?

      Drugs help with depression, I've been self-medicating for a while now.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it really is hard to discuss it. I'd recommend slowly, slowly talking about slight issues that you have. Emphasis on slight. Spilling the beans about feeling depressed might overwhelm your listener and/or you depending on the way you talk. So, for example, maybe your depression is being partially manifested by something others would consider minor in their life... start by talking about that. Whatever seems the least "meaningful" will probably be the most comfortable to talk about.

      btw dont be afraid to QQ once in a while

      Delete